Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Search for Pomegranate Jelly

I love this stuff... and I can't remember when or where I first tasted it, but it was a long ordeal to find it... OK, not an ordeal, just a long time and a waste of a lot of sugar and juice...

First, I tried buying some made by Cactus Candy Company. My mistake was not reading the label to see that water was the primary ingredient. It was like eating red sugar, no taste at all.

The I decided to make some, how hard could it be? I used to make grape jelly, back in the dark ages. The first recipe I found claimed it won a blue ribbon at the Texas State Fair. Wow! I was impressed! So I made some. Cooked it, jarred it up, tasted it... yikes, it was so sweet I thought bees were going to congregate around it. Don't get me wrong, I love sweet, but I love flavor, too. I should have known better, Texans are big on sugar. Luckily it didn't make a lot of jelly.

Then I tried using less sugar, like some commenters on that recipe claimed they did. It didn't set up, it was like syrup. Then I tried a recipe made with Splenda. It didn't set up either, in spite of me using twice as much pectin. It was too thick for syrup, but not anything like jelly.

On the verge of giving up, I saw Pom Wonderful juice on sale at Costco. A new recipe search ensued, and..... VOILA! We have jelly! Jelly that is sweet, but still with the bite of pomegranate flavor. And it makes SIX JARS! I'll have jelly for a long time.

So, you need six 8-ounce jelly jars (or 12 4-ounce, or 3 16-ounce.... you get my drift)

You need a large pot to cook it in, at least 4 quarts.

You may choose to process the jars in a hot water bath for safety, and you'd need a big giant pot to do that in. More on that later.

Be sure you get the PINK BOX of Sure Jell.  It's for low or no sugar recipes.  If you get the regular stuff, it may not set up.



Pomegranate Jelly

Makes six 8-ounce jars.

32 ounces (4 cups) pomegranate juice
1 box Sure Jell for Low Sugar recipes
3 cups sugar, divided


Mix the Sure Jell with ¼ cup sugar, and add to pomegranate juice in a large pan. (4 quart or larger). Stir until dissolved and bring to a boil.

Stir in remaining 2 ¾ cups sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve.

When mixture reaches a *full, rolling boil, boil for one full minute, then remove from heat.

**Skim off the foam.Ladle in clean, sterile jars and seal with lids and rings.

***Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

NOTES:

* A full, rolling boil is one that doesn't stop bubbling when you stir it.  When mine started to boil, I stirred it some more to make sure, then set the timer, and let it boil for the full minute... then turned off the timer and the burner, then took it off the heat, so it probably boiled for 90 seconds.  Better too long than not long enough.

** I find it easier to skim off the foam after it's in the jar.  Use an iced tea spoon and rinse it with hot water in between jars.  It's easier than chasing the foam all over the pan.

Wipe the edges of the jar with a wet paper towel before you put the lid on.

*** Back in the dark ages when I learned to make jelly, we never processed it, it was just sealed with paraffin and that was good.  But, food experts recommend processing it for safety, so I supposed you should.   I have a huge canning pot with a rack to hold the jars.  You can put the jars on a cotton towel in a regular pot, just make sure there's an inch of water above the tops of the jars.   If you don't have a big giant canning pot, use shorter jelly jars in a stock pot.   You're supposed to leave the jars in simmering water for 5 minutes.

Remove from the hot water (use jar tongs!) and let them sit on a towel until room temperature.  Try not to disturb them for 24 hours, and they should be nice and set up (if you tilt the jar the jelly shouldn't move),

The lids will pop when the jar is sealed.  If a jar doesn't seal, keep it in the fridge.

If you have hard water, you should wipe the jars down with a paper towel dipped in white vinegar.




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are subject to moderation.